Ayurvedic Herbs for Hair Care
Ayurvedic treatment for hair loss is usually a combination of Ayurvedic herbs, diet, meditation, yoga, breathing, aromatherapy, and oil massage.
Ayurvedic Herbs for Healthy Hair
Ayurvedic treatment for hair loss is usually a combination of Ayurvedic herbs, diet, meditation, yoga, breathing, aromatherapy, and oil massage. Here are some Ayurvedic herbs which have been traditionally used for hair care:
1. Reetha (Sapindus Trifoliatus): Reeta is commonly known as soapnut, and is known as an excellent hair tonic. It is a popular ingredient in Ayurvedic shampoos and cleansers. It has been traditionally used for removing lice from the scalp as it has a gentle insecticidal property. Reeta also helps in preventing dandruff naturally and keeps the hair soft and strong.
2. Amla (Indian gooseberry, Emblica officinalis): Amla is a proven hair tonic and conditioner, and is used for enriching hair growth and hair pigmentation. Amla has been used by Ayurvedic physicians, for centuries, to stimulate growth of hair, and to treat preamature graying of hair as well as hair loss. Amla is also known for strengthening the roots of hair, and maintaining color as well as luster. It is also known to prevent infection in the scalp. Recent research has shown that Amla helps in proliferation of Dermal Papilla (DP) cells, which play an important part in hair growth.
3. Kumari (Aloe vera): The gel of Aloe vera contains an enzyme which is known to retard excessive hair loss by renewing the follicular cycle and by stimulating the scalp to activate fresh growth of hair. Its anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral property makes it very useful in getting rid of dandruff and preventing any infection of the scalp.
4. Methi (Fenugreek, Trigonella foenum graecum): Fenugreek has an unique mix of flavanoids and alkaloids which help in maintaining healthy-looking hair and a well-nourished scalp. The flavanoids and the alkaloid present in fenugreek seeds are responsible for increased blood circulation to scalp, thus providing increased supply of vital nutrients to the hair follicles, resulting in enhanced hair growth. Fenugreek seeds also contain hormone precursors that replenish hair growth. Moreover, fenugreek seeds are also a good source of protein, which is very essential in rebuilding and strengthening the hair shaft. Fenugreek seeds are also useful in cleansing the scalp of dandruff.
5. Bhringraj(Eclipta Alba) : Bhringaraj is known as the nature's gift for our hair, and is one of the best known herbs in Ayurveda for preventing balding and premature graying, besides promoting healthy hair growth. A mixture of Bhringaraja and mineral oil when applied to the scalp keeps the hair dark and lustrous.
6. Shikakai (Acacia Concinna): Shikakai literally means "fruit of thee hair", and is one of the best natural cleanser and conditioner for hair. It is one of the imporatant ingredients of any herbal hair shampoo. According to Ayurveda, it is known for its ability to strengthen hair roots, stimulate hair growth and also treat dandruff.
7. Neem (Azadirachta Indica): Neem is known for its potent anti-microbial property, and therefore, it is very useful in treating dandruff and for easing an itching scalp. If used regularly, it strengthens thin hair and softens thick hair. Neem oil can relieve dry and itchy scalp, dandruff, as well as giving you silky, shiny, stronger hair and encourage growth.
8. Henna (Lawsonia Inermis): Henna is one of the excellent herbs known for maintenance of healthy hair. Henna is a potent natural hair conditioner. It helps in healing the damaged hair shaft by repairing and sealing the cuticle, and thus protecting hair against breakage and loss of shine. Henna also prevents hair loss, strengthens hair, controls dandruff and promotes healthy and oil-free scalp. Henna leaves boiled with mustard oil and massaged into scalp, gives the best results in promoting healthy hair growth.
9. Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri): Brahmi is a potent herb known for vitalizing our hair, and making our hair dark, dense, and lustrous. It strengthens hair roots, and retards hair thinning and hair loss. Regular use of this herb can control premature graying and massaging it into the scalp clears dandruff.
10. Triphala: Triphala is a combination of three different herbs namely Haritaki (Terminalia Chebula), Amalaki (Embelica Officinalis) and Vibhitaki (Terminalia Bellirica). This mixture if taken orally every day can effectively help in preventing hair loss. Also, it can be used by mixing it in warm oil, preferably castor oil, and then massaging the scalp with it.