Best Ayurvedic Medications for Joint Pain
Modern lifestyle has made human life more sedentary, causing more health problems. Joint pain is one of the problems for which Ayurveda provides easy solutions.
Best Ayurvedic Medications for Joint Pain
Do you have joint pain? Do you have inflammation, swelling, redness, stiffness accompanied with your joint pain? You need not worry. It has become an inevitable asset of modern life. You need not be surprised to know that more than 46 million adults and 3 million children are affected with joint pain in America alone. The number of arthritis patients is increasing day by day. Is it because of more sedentary life style? Or is it because of some change in diet? Joint pain is recognized today by various names such as arthritis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, etc. Actually it is said that there are more than 100 types of joint pains. Whatever may it be, you have to accept the inevitable and find some relief through medication.
Why should you avoid over-the-counter drugs for joint pain?
Nowadays many natural remedies are available for joint pain which are more effective than prescription and over-the-counter medicines. Moreover, over-the-counter medicines for joint pain relief are chemical drugs, and as such there may be some side effects or health complications.
Ayurveda helps you
Some easy Ayurvedic medications for joint pain
1) Turmeric and ginger, belonging to the same family, have anti-inflammatory properties which are effective in pain relief. Using them as poultice or intake drink heals inflammation and mild joint pain. Ayurvedic experts recommend drinking ginger tea at bed time which is effective for joint pain caused by Rheumatoid Arthritis.
2) Ayurveda suggests taking high-carbohydrate diet while cutting down on animal foods, milk and milk products which increase vata humor, the agent of joint pain. Eating more vegetables, raw or cooked, is highly recommended. Drinking juices of vegetables such as carrot, cucumber, and vegetable soups or coconut water protects the body from joint pain. Recent researches also reveal that vegetarian diet is beneficial in eliminating joint pain to a great extent.
3) Celery (Apium graveolens) can be used as an effective treatment for joint pain caused by rheumatism and gout. It provides more relief from the problem since its alkaline content makes it effective in relieving joint pain.
4) Diet with increased intake of omega-3 fatty acids by consuming cold water fish, walnuts or ground flaxseeds is recommended to get relief from joint pain. Even fish oil supplements can help in maintaining low protein in the diet. Ayurveda says that excess use of refined sugar may aggravate joint pains.
5) Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), the herb popularly known as Winter Cherry in the west, has several positive properties for the human system, including treating joint pain. It can be used as a healthy drink. Drinking black cherry juice, mixed in a glass of water, at least twice a day has been proven beneficial for relief from joint pain.
6) Drinking a mixture of two teaspoons of lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey in a cup of warm water, twice a day, is good for curing joint pain. A mixture of apple cider vinegar and honey dissolved in a small glass of warm water also gives a good result.
7) Massaging with blended essential oils helps greatly to get relief from joint pain. Six drops of Chamomile essential oil can be added to four ounces of any of the Carrier oils, such as Soya, Sesame, Avocado or Almond oils, and can be used for massaging.
8) The blended oil cited above can also be used for taking warm bath. A blended mixture with two parts of pure olive oil and one part of kerosene makes a wonderful ointment to bathe afflicted joints.
9) Ayurveda is very particular about maintaining the balance of vata, pitta and kapha, the three humors of the body. It says that if this balance is lost it results in diseases. A poor digestion is the main culprit of this imbalance, resulting in accumulation of toxins in the body. Constipation can aggravate joint pain. Hence foods that are difficult to digest must be avoided and fiber-rich foods must be included.
10) Yoga and exercise techniques may greatly help to improve the mobility, as well as function, of joints in bones. Regular stretching exercises and relaxation techniques, combined with yoga and meditation, are also beneficial.
Resource: The Free Ayurvedic Encyclopedia