My vegetarian day, a day in the life of a vegetarian
A look a one day in the life of a vegetarian, and a few myths cleared up
- Lets clear up a few questions
- “What is protein?”
- Yes but what do you do for Protein?
- The next big question is, do you eat fish?
- My Vegetarian Day
- My cauliflower and turnip bake recipe
- You are what you eat
- Write for us
Lets clear up a few questions
As a vegetarian I am often asked “yes but where do you get your protein?” and “can you eat fish?” lets start by asking another question “
“What is protein?”
- Protein is a macronutrient. That is to say, it's part of a food compound we consume in the largest quantities, protein is one of the three elements the other two being fat, and carbohydrate, protein is in fact an amino acid, when you group together all the molecules in these amino acids we call them proteins. (Got that?) Good
Yes but what do you do for Protein?
Now lets answer the first question.
- “Where do you get your protein” My answer to you is nuts, all kinds of nuts but particularly almonds, also Greek Yogurt, Tempeh, Quinoa, Barley, Buckwheat, Flax seed, Oats, Pine nuts, Pumpkin seeds, Rice, wheat, I could go on but I guess you can see you don’t need to eat meat to get protein.
The next big question is, do you eat fish?
- Lets get one thing straight a vegetarian is someone who does not eat any living thing, so the answer to that is NO of course I don’t eat fish Now we have those two questions out of the way, let’s get back to gist of my article.
My Vegetarian Day
I start my day with a breakfast of Muesli, this I make up myself consisting of Almonds, Pumpkin seeds, Sunflower seeds, and flame raisins, with cold soya milk, (I don’t drink cow’s milk, that’s for little baby cows, and even they stop drinking it when they grow up)
On another day I might have scrambled egg (With some grated cheese) on toast (No eggs are not baby chickens, read Marks article on this)
I like to let the toast cool down a bit before I put the dairy free butter on it that stops the butter from melting and that way the egg taste so much better. On occasions I will have a Greek yogurt or porridge.
My cauliflower and turnip bake recipe
Now we get to lunch, I often eat fruit for my lunch with a Greek yogurt or Marmite on crisp-bread (You either love it or hate it)
- Dinner My dinner is nearly always vegetables with something or other, be it marinated tofu, Tempeh or soy mince, I also have pasta in some form, and then there’s may made up recipes, for example today I had cauliflower and turnip bake.I took
Cauliflower, Carrots, Baby turnips, Coriander, Turmeric And Chilli powder
Put the whole lot in a bowl along with a masala cooked mix (my own) into the oven, after cooked let it cool a little and top with mustard seeds.
I had this dish with green runner beans to add a different colour.
I don’t normally have a sweet, but this time I had banana with custard, homemade of course.
Other days I enjoy, bangers & mash with onion gravy (I use Bisto, yes it's Vegetarian and Vegan) Cauliflower and Broccoli cheese, but my favourite is shepherd's pie I make it with Quorn mince with added shepherds pie mix
You are what you eat
You may think I eat healthy but I am a vegetarian and this is the sort of thing what we eat every day.
Although I am a vegetarian I follow the vegan way to some extent and refrain from consuming cow’s milk, butter, any sweets that contain animal products, E.G those that contain gelatine for example gums and sadly beer although if you look hard enough you can find beer that has not been filtered without the need for animal product.
The same apply's to wine, luckily my chosen tipple is whiskey or gin, I might add this is the only drug I take, I do drink tea but as I choose either white or green tea I have no need for milk
Write for us
Do you write Story's, Poems, Factual articles, why not let Wikinut publish them for you? have you published them already on other sites? no matter Wikinut can republish them and allow you to double your earnings.
You can be as artistic as you like, the magic of seeing YOUR poem or story in print is wonderful, and to makes things better we will pay you for it, why not give it a try?