Tips to protect the Liver
The below article discusses the functions of liver, causes of liver failure, and tips to avoid it.
- Functions of the Liver
- Main causes for Liver failure
- Tips to protect the liver
- Healthy and hygienic eating habits
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol
- Fewer intakes of medicines
- Avoid exposure to chemicals
- Eat natural foods that cleanse the Liver
Liver is one of the most important organs of human body. The main function of the liver is to break down food and convert it into energy. Liver stores energy in the form of Glycogen. When there is a need of energy, the liver rapidly converts the stored Glycogen back into Glucose and is ready for the body to use.
Liver also maintains the Glucose level in the body. Without it, the sugar level in the blood could fall radically and may lead to coma.
Functions of the Liver
• Liver controls the levels of fats, amino acids and glucose in the body.
• It gives resistance to the body by helping to fight against infections.
• It helps in making enzymes and proteins.
• It stores iron, vitamins and other minerals.
• It helps in digestion of food by production of bile juice.
• Liver removes poisons from the air you breathe.
• Liver helps in clotting the blood, it is helpful during any minor/major injury.
• Metabolizating medicines into their active ingredient in the body.
Main causes for Liver failure
Consumption of alcohol
Alcohol abuse is the most common cause of liver disease there are three main diseases associated with excess alcohol consumption --- fatty liver, alcoholic hepatitis, and alcoholic cirrhosis. When alcohol is consumed the liver keeps aside its normal activities in order to metabolize the alcohol. Hence, metabolizing of alcohol in large amount for longer period of time makes the liver loose its smooth functioning and it loose its efficiency to metabolize fats. These fats stay in the liver instead of moving out into the body and being used. It results in the problem of liver called ‘fatty liver’.
Overdose of medicines
Medications and drugs have immense affect on the functioning of the liver. Prolonged intake of medications leads to liver damage as every medicine we take is converted into its active ingredients by liver. Some medications or drugs cause liver damage when taken in overdose. While some other cause even when taken in prescribed dosage.
Tips to protect the liver
When the liver gets overwork of purifying blood due to pollutants, over dosage of medicines, consumption of large amount of alcohol results in variety of health problems like High blood pressure, High cholesterol levels, Chronic fatigue, Headaches ,Irritable bowels, Joint pain, Sugar problems, poor eyesight, indigestion, kidney failure etc.
As the liver plays an important role in the survival of human being and also to avoid so many diseases; one should take precautions to protect liver. Here are few steps one should follow to protect the liver.
Healthy and hygienic eating habits
• Eat hygienic food, home food is the best when compared with restaurants food because the restaurants fail to provide hygienic food and intake of these foods results in overwork to liver.
• Wash the vegetables and fruits thoroughly, to avoid (sprayed) Pesticides, fertilizers, antibiotics, growth hormones and other drugs that are toxic to get into the body.
• Limit intake of oily foods, processed foods and fructose. These foods cause obesity resulting in fatty liver.
Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol
• Avoid consumption of alcohol, drugs etc. These things contain many toxic substances and the liver gets burden of purifying them.
• Smoking may harm your liver’s ability to efficiently process and remove toxins from the body.
Fewer intakes of medicines
• Avoid unnecessary intake of drugs. Nowadays people take Paracetamol (Crocin) pain killers frequently; overdose of this drug has more risk of liver failure. You can replace it with some pain relief gel/ointment.
• “Prevention is better than cure”, always try to protect the body from diseases to avoid frequent use of medicines. Stress to the body causes body pain, try to avoid overwork. Take a break in between the work and get relaxed.
Avoid exposure to chemicals
• Use natural cleansing products for home and personal care to reduce stress on liver. If you use chemicals or pesticides for the plants always use gloves as chemicals enter through the skin. If you are using sprays for cockroaches, keep the room ventilated or wear a mask.
• Use purified water, avoid contamination malady.
• Physical exercise lowers the risk of fatty liver disease.
• According to researchers, staying active (example: Running/jogging/swimming/skipping) for at least 150 minutes a week improved liver enzymes and also other liver functions.
Eat natural foods that cleanse the Liver
Here is a list of some foods that helps to cleanse the liver
• Garlic: Garlic helps to activate liver enzymes, which helps to flush toxins from the body.
• Grapefruit: It is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, which helps to cleanse the liver and it increases the production of liver detoxification enzymes.
• Turmeric: Turmeric is considered as one of the most important food for maintaining a healthy liver. Turmeric also boosts the natural production of bile.
• Green tea: It is packed with plant antioxidants known as catechins, an ingredient known to help the overall functions of liver.
• Green vegetables: Leafy green vegetables bitter gourd, arugula, dandelion greens, spinach, mustard greens, and chicory also contain numerous cleansing compounds that neutralize heavy metals, which can bear heavily on the liver.
• Avocados: They protect liver against toxic overload and increase the cleansing power of liver. According to some researchers, eating one or two avocados a week can repair a damaged liver within a short period of time.
• Lemon: The fruit rich in vitamin C helps the body to synthesize toxic material into substance that can be absorbed by water.
• Apples: It contains the chemical constituents needed for the body to cleanse and release toxins from the digestive tract.
• Olive oil: This oil helps to suck up harmful toxins in the body.
• Whole grains: Grains, like brown rice helps to improve liver function.